Customers expect to be treated well while shopping. They do not want to wait unnecessarily for their services. People tend to reject a retail business if the customer service provided is bad or if it does not meet the expectation of the customer. Dial 2 donate a customer service company that helps out the customers. Thus customer service is no longer an option it is an essential factor to be focused. Enterprenur.com is a website that provides a list of blogs on the role of customer service in a retail business. This article is based on the findings of research and interviews of various business people and retail sellers.
Some of the key findings based on the research are
· Customer service is the key to the success of a retail business. So it is essential to set up a retail service model which gives importance to each and every customer as an individual. It should also ensure satisfaction of the customer.
· The customer service strategy varies accordingly to small and large retail business.
· Benchmarking customer service is important to develop a retail service model
· Customer service training is given to the workers of the retails shops. Some retailers also work based on reward and recognition scheme.
· Customer Service measurement was done by mystery shopping. Now more importance is given to customer’s direct voice input.
· Employee engagement is the key to providing a higher standard of customer service.
Customer Centered Retail Service Model
A retail service model is developed based on the customer service. This service model developed is tested with retailers. The model includes three layers. They are
Leadership: Organization offering the customer service as the prime service in their business. In big retail business a senior personal does the job whereas in small business the owner does the job.
Enablers: The way the customer service vision is translated and implemented on the shop floor.
Customer Journey: It varies from business to business. Background search, complaint handling and benchmarking are essential to measure the customer service. A supplementary online version developed this part of the model.
Future of Retail Industry
To improve the future of retail industry several case studies and research were carried out. The findings of the case studies and research are highlighted below
· The customer service does not end with in-store experience. It has to be owned by all the employees.
· There is a growing challenge on providing desirable levels of customer’s service to all the outlets and multiple channels, e.g., store/online/mobile
· It is important to link the customer service approach to the brand of the organization.
· It is necessary to provide a strong link between customer service and bottom delivery during tough trading conditions.
The standard recommendations of retailers who have followed successful customer services are listed below
Customer service is a long-term commitment, and it is a key competitive differentiator.
The customer service should be offered from the top of the organization.
The real understanding of the retail customer experience is measured from the customer perspective.
Thus the above article focuses on the importance of the customer service for the success of a retail business.